Monday, June 19, 2017

Log Cabin Affliction

This winter and spring I have stayed busy with work on three different old log structures. This is an affliction I have had since I was a young man. The passion I still have but in stamina I am lacking. 

Craze Cabin
 This past fall (2016) Waymon Craze and I started moving logs from one cabin site on his farm to another site to reconstruct a house for his daughter. We being two old men, worked kind of slow but with stedfast resolve. However, we persevered. The cabin is now back up and has a roof on it. These logs were first build about 1905 by the Holder family. 



Log Barn Purchased

In March 2017 I gained knowledge of an old log barn about to be destroyed near Stevenson, AL. I contacted the new owner of the land and procured for a sum of money the salvage of said barn. I hired the Bledsoe Brothers for a few days, and we deconstructed the barn and saved enough of the 1860's circa white oak logs to be used for some small structure as I see fit in the future.

  

McCoy Farm Cabin

The first of May, I hired Mike Prince and Brian Bledsoe to help, and we started work on a one room log cabin on the McCoy farm. We are going to rebuild porches on three sides and put on a new roof structure. This will preserve it for the future generations. This room of logs was built in the 1890's by a man named Tom Lewis. His family had a rough reputation; nevertheless he was a superb craftsman in every since of the word. I have been involved with many log structures and his workmanship has few equals. Therefore this cabin is still in very good condition. 


1 comment:

  1. Please contact me at annalmullican@gmail.com, would love to offer you free vendor space at our upcoming festival at Oakville INdian Mounds in May!

    ReplyDelete