Sunday, May 25, 2014

Hay-Fork




This hay-fork was bought and installed in the ridge of a new barn built by James David McCoy around 1910. The hay-fork was used to move loose hay from a hay wagon to a haystack in the loft of the barn.  It used a fork device, ropes and pulleys and a wooden rail to move hay.

A wagon of loose hay was driven into the barn. Then a rope lowered the metal fork into the hay. A tripping device extended forks into the hay enabling you to lift the entire load, if the hay was properly stacked on the wagon. A pulley system was used to lift the hay to the loft.  The trolley then rode along the rail. When the hay was in the right location, a string attached to a small tripping device pulled the forks back in, releasing the hay. This type of operation was used before the advent of hay-balers.

The hay-fork now hangs in our sunroom as a reminder of my family's past history on this land. I salvaged it out of the barn just before my uncle demolished it. The barn had deteriorated to the extent that it was no longer structurally sound.  I stored it for years hoping to one day find a use for it. And I did. Every time I look at it, I am reminded of my heritage. It also makes a great conversation piece for visitors to our home.


No comments:

Post a Comment